Three days ago, the author of the blog lackofenvironment nominated me for a Versatile Blogger award. I was more than a little surprised because a) I had no idea what a Versatile Blogger award was, and b) well… I was just surprised!
I was pretty darn flattered too.
The Versatile Award rules state that in order to receive the award, a nominee must do the following:
- Thank the person who gave you this award. That’s common courtesy.
- Include a link to their blog. That’s also common courtesy — if you can figure out how to do it.
- Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly. ( I would add, pick blogs or bloggers that are excellent!)
- Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award — you might include a link to this site.
- Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.
And so, it is because of a technicality that I cannot accept the award. (Insert sounds of disappointment.) You see, I’m relatively new to this blogging business and I couldn’t name 15 bloggers to save my life (I know. How sad am I!). But, in the spirit of The Award, I will do my best to fulfill the other requirements as best as I can. So here goes.
1. A big “MERCI BEAUCOUP!” to Martin at lackofenvironment. Martin’s blog is an excellent combination of environmental science (the man knows his climate change!) and environmental politics. It is a wonderful read and the comments section can get interesting : )
2. I guess I already did #2. Moving on!
3. I’d like to mention two blogs that I really enjoy and that regularly give me inspiratin. The first is called eek.ology. It is written by an Australian woman named Lucinda who uses her blog as a place to combine her “love of the environment and food”.
By the way, Lucinda, if you ever get to read this, I have a most pathetic confession to make: I must have been reading your blog for at least two weeks before I understood your blog’s title! I can be so slow sometimes : )
The second blog I want to mention is earthstonestation, by Dohn Chapman. The blog combines Mr. Chapman’s great respect for nature with lovely photography.
4. I can’t really do #4 because I haven’t accepted the award… but I’ll still contact Lucinda and Dohn.
5. Alright. Seven things about myself. Hummmmmmm.
- Well, the most obvious would be my first name: Jocelyn. Although most people would think that is a girl’s name, my bald head and 6’2″, 220 lb frame would make you think otherwise! Jocelyn is actually a boy’s name in French, my first language. But everyone calls me Joce (rhymes with boss).
- I teach high school sciences and math in a teeny-tiny school in eastern Prince Edward Island (Canada). “How tiny?” you ask. Well, it’s a k-12 school and we have less than 60 students!
- I am 33 years young. Or as I usually put it, “33 going on 16”. Being a little immature and spending 7 hours a day with children keeps me young!
- I have a conflicting love of automobiles! To be fair, I loved cars before I knew much about environmental issues. I still enjoy reading back issues of the Porsche magazines I still own. The problem is, while I’m reading, I’m looking out for catalytic converters and dreaming of battery-powered 911’s.
- I am married to a lovely lady named Danielle and my wife and I have two dogs. (Did you think I was gonna say “kids”?) My Gravatar picture is an upside-down shot of our black lab, Maggie.
- I have a terrible time reading non-fiction. I don’t know why, but it’s soooo hard! However, I’m trying to improve this character flaw: I am currently reading More Good News by David Suzuki and Holly Dressel.
- I love to play drums. No, that doesn’t mean that I play drums. You see, I sold my kit in 2006 to help pay for your move from Ottawa to PEI. At the time, I figured that in a year or two I could by myself a new, better kit. Unfortunately, our house is rather small and this is literally no room. So I am, sadly, without a drum kit.
Well, that’s about it. Again, thank you Martin for your consideration and thank you to everyone out there that takes the time to read what I post. I hope you all enjoy it!